Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Upper Taff in near flood, Friday 6 Dec

An account from John O'C:

"On Friday I went on the Taff with two Kayakers  Phill & Dave C (Matt had to lay some thing, well that's what he said!)
 
At the put in at Quakers Yard the high water was grade 5   the tree was cpmletly under the water
 
I assume it was only a few yards at this grade I was wrong It lasted about 80yards, I was thinking  this is not the place for a 16ft open, the rest of the rive was continues grade 3 with huge waves coming at you from all directions I have never see water like it. It made the Trweryn top section look like child's play
 
Some waves had to be over 6 ft  No one stopped to play a swim would be very long
 
Then came to the grave yard (grade 5) it was huge water and rocks every where the others took the drop ion the centre of the river I arrived safely
 
I went down the LHS to avoid the drop which I was not confidant I could make, and if I did I would be full of water. All was going well I now had to move into the centre of the river to avoid a tree
I knew there was a 20ft wide wave across part of the river and I tried my best to get past it. the boat was at a angle and the long and short of it is I swam
The boys were waiting for me after this section and they rescued me and then the boat
My dry suite is in for repair so I was very damp
 
Then were on more features after the grave yard,  just grade 3 with huge waves coming at you from all directions.
 
We were off the water before 3:30
 
It was a paddle I will remember, and I am glad I did it and survived, would I do it again NO not at this level
KNOW WHEN YOU'RE LUCKY 

Thank you
 
John O'Connell"

Tags:

No comments: